I wrote a post last year about being kinder to my body which you might want to read before this one, but in today’s post I really wanted to chat about particularly listening to my body.
I am a big believer in our bodies sending us signals of what we are needing. Over the past years I’ve always, always fought against it. Even when I felt poorly, I would still go and workout just because I didn’t want to put on weight. I would under-eat. I would over-eat to get some kind of comfort.
This was so so silly of me, and I could of really been harming my body. I’m glad I can look back on this and finally be out of that negative cycle, but as with everything I have my ups and downs and emotions come and go.
It is still very hard for me to listen to my body at times, and I do sometimes feel guilty when I slow down, even though I know its needed for my physical and mental health, but I’m sure I’m not alone here. I know my yoga practice won’t disappear if I don’t do it for a couple of days. I know my body needs sugar sometimes. I just need to keep working on it, at the end of the day I’m doing it for myself, no-one can do it for me. It’s all a process.
Sometimes we just need to give our bodies a break.
It feels kind of strange to be writing this because I usually talk about things when I am ‘out’ of that situation, and when I can offer my advice after my experience. But for this post I just wanted to acknowledge something I’m working on, incase you wanted to join me and we can do it together.
Things I’m trying to help me with this:
- Noticing how I wake up on a morning and assess how my body feels. Tired? Sluggish? Energetic?
- Being more mindful in my everyday life
- Taking a slower yoga practice
- Noticing when I’m full, or if I’m hungry or just emotional
- Distracting myself when I’m craving a lot of chocolate- but also, letting myself have some too
- Accepting we all need rest days
- Being kinder to myself and using positive affirmations, I’m more than just a body
Do you struggle listening to your body? Do you have any tips for me?